perjantai 3. tammikuuta 2014

Shut up and take my money!

So I'm sober enough to write again.

If you haven't noticed all the money going away from your account, you might not yet know that Steam holiday sale was going on for the last days of 2013. This year that sale really did a number on my wallet, thanks to all the Greenlight and Early Access games. I think I have about 30+ new games and I only paid about three full price games worth for them, so while I paid quite a lot I got a shitload in return. I haven't yet played even half of those games, but lets see if those I have played were worth those peanuts.

Oldschool

Just one? I only bought one oldschool game for christmas? Oh well I didn't drop by at Good Old Games, so that might explain it. Anyway I picked up Baldur's Gate: Enhanced edition.

Let's start with the good things. The game is the best version you can get "out of the box" thanks to updated graphics and the fact it works on current computers without tweaking. If you have never played Baldur's Gate then you should go and buy this and the second one or I won't be your friend. All the good stuff from BG2 were implemented in this one, so it's way better than the original in more ways than just graphics update.

The problem I have is that I have already seen the mods on the originals. Tutu and Trilogy add way more stuff in these games. They need a bit of tinkering to get working (especially on Vista), but graphics aside they are both better than the enhanced editions. If you are not that computer savvy then these are the best versions of the games, but if you bother to play around with the mods then you should go with the GoG versions and dump Tutu or Trilogy mod on them.

Stuff I already knew was good

Let's make this fast. Theses are the games I had already played and just picked up because they were cheap.

Arma 2 - Operation Arrowhead: Just picked up for DayZ mod

Borderlands 2: Not sure if I wan't to actually play it as last time I was on Pandora I got hooked on all that lewt.

Counter Strike complete collection? Why? I already had 1.6 and Source. I must'v been drunk that night and it was probably really cheap.

Dark Souls - Prepare to die edition: It's just good. Don't whine about the difficulty. It really feels good when you actually survive for once.

Deus Ex - Human revolution: I'm a sucker for cyberpunk, so this was a no-brainer.

Gunpoint: Fun little indie title that gives you a choice of puzzles, but sometimes you can just bash heads and shoot you'r way through if you want. I was on the beta so this wasn't a surprise to me, but I can't say anything bad about the game so go check it out.

Just Cause 2: The new multiplayer mod is more or less working and fun as hell.

Trine 2: Well I have already played this through with a friend, but it was dirt cheap so I picked it up.

Walking Dead season 2: I might have mentioned that I love Telltale games and this is not a disappointment. Just first episode in and I can't wait for the rest.

The surprises

This will take some time as I picked up quite a lot of games just because they were just one or two euros (1€ is roughly 1,2$ nowdays if you prefer dollars.

Don't Starve: There's something in this game that makes me drop back over and over again, even when I get pretty bored of it in a hour or two. It's pretty simple point and click survival game and the fighting/hunting is pure hell. Maybe it's the nice hand drawn graphics and the overall mood of the game, but in any case I can't just stop coming back to it. My current character has been alive for whopping 9 days and that's about as far as I have gotten.

Eldricht: I'm not sure if I should add this in here or not. I didn't really expect anything and I got just a bit more. It's kinda Minecraft without the building and with an actual story/adventure. I wouldn't have paid the normal price for this, but in the end it was better than I thought from the synopsis.

FEZ: Well I finally decided to pick it up. This should have probably gone to the last section because I have heard so much about it that it really couldn't be bad after all that praise. Still I never got the basic consept and why that would be so fun, so it was a surprisingly good game for me. That was kinda same deal as Doctor Who. I had heard a lot of good about it, but I never really wanted to check it out. When I finally did it was great.

Long Live the Queen: This was the ultimate surprise. I picked it up because a friend told me it was a nice little "text adventure roguelike" and didn't cost a shit. It's pretty much multiple choice adventure with RPG elements. You are a princess who is going to be the next queen and your mother has died. Now you need to get ready for your coronation by learning all the stuff you need to rule a country and surviving the Game of Thrones type court plots. Also you are going to die. A lot. Before anyone scratches this off as a girlie game I must point out that the GUY who told me to pick this up is playing it way more than I do. Oh and there's magic, but I usually die pretty soon after I unlock it. If you have played Kudos and liked it this is something like that but way better.

The Stanley Parable: A) I haven't really played this too much yet (about 30-40min). B) I don't usually like artsy/experimental games. Still I have to say it has been great this far. I can't really explain the game's idea because it's something really different, but check the link and by all means buy it. If not for the experimental nature of the game then at least to support that voice actor. You know who I'm talking about if you buy the game.

P.s.

Those were not nearly all the (probably) good games I picked up but I haven't had time to actually play most of them, so I'll tell about the rest later when I get to it. Also links are to Steam site because this was about Steam sales. I probably should'v linked to the actual sites, but you can google them if you want to know more. I'm lazy.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti